Sunday, August 19, 2007

Reopening of Fruitless

After my many trips this summer, Fruitless was reopened for business this weekend. I made a "lighter" summer menu with some flavors inspired by my Toronto adventures.

For a starter, I made chilled asparagus with vinaigrette and egg mimosa (featured before in my blog here). This time, though, I did not overcook the asparagus so it still had a bit of a crunch (which is the way I like asparagus).



The main course was a fish course. I managed to find some Chilean sea bass. I decided to marinate the fillets in a miso sauce (shiro miso, mirin, sake, brown sugar, and soy sauce) and broil them. I also made a miso foam to go along with it (part of the "light" menu). A little bit of lumpfish caviar provides a salty contrast to the dish. As a side dish I made some "tofu fries" served with some hoisin sauce. The fish was cooked very nicely and tasted excellent. Certainly one of the things to try again. The tofu fries may have been fried a bit too much, but I needed to fry them this much or they will not be sturdy enough and fall apart. Perhaps I should have fried larger blocks of tofu. But overall I am happy with the dish. Next time, though, I may try to get the skin really crispy.



The dessert was inspired by the basil ice cream I had at Hiro Sushi. It's a dessert "bruschetta": on the bottom is a piece of store-bought sponge cake. This is topped by a layer of chopped strawberry tomatoes that were lightly poached in a syrup (the tomato syrup is soaked into the cake). It is finally topped by the basil ice cream. I think it was very successful: it tastes kind of like bruschetta, just a bit sweeter. The basil ice cream and the tomatoes worked together very well. If I had more artistic skills I would make quenelles from the ice cream. Another thing to practice on.



So almost everything was perfect, and it was a good reopening event.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The dessert is devine.

A little bit more exposure and you'll have your own Food Network TV show!

math_guy said...

Does anyone who attended this particular dinner party remember Howard taking pictures of the food? If not, why are there pictures in this article?

Things that make you go...yummm...and then go...hmmm. :)