Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Pasta with smoked salmon and crème fraîche

A question from Nicole prompted me to do some research into the making of crème fraîche (since we can't get it in the stores here). After doing a bit of research I decided to follow the "recipe" from Harold McGee's "On Food & Cooking: The Science & Lore of the Kitchen". It took a bit longer than it was supposed to, possibly because of the cooler temperature in my air-conditioned house. Still, it seems to have worked.

Apparently this all started because Nicole had a pasta dish at Miro Bistro with smoked salmon and crème fraîche. I have also had this dish before (in fact, it was the second dish I have ever had at Miro). So I decided to try making it, and it worked wonderfully: some fettucine, crème fraîche, smoked salmon, dill, a few capers, topped with a small scoop of caviar (the cheap lumpfish caviar seems to be all I can find, but maybe I can get some large salmon roes from a Japanese store). Anyway, the dish worked out great though the crème fraîche was not that thick and needed reduction.

I have never seen "real" crème fraîche in stores before so I don't know what it is supposed to look or taste like, but what I have made now seem to match the description in Wikipedia.

No comments: