Sunday, April 15, 2007

Weekend dinner

I had a dinner party and it went reasonably well...

For starter, it was a leek and stilton flan and leek fritters (variation of this recipe).


For main course, I made braised beef back ribs in a sauce made from a mixture of fermented soy bean products (chee hou, hoisin, and just ground fermented bean paste). Served with garlic mashed potatoes and carrots. This was inspired by a meal I had at 360. The vegetarian option had shinbo tofu substituted for the ribs.




The dessert is tira misu with a Barolo reduction. The most difficult part when making this one is watching a bottle of Barolo reduced down to almost nothing because the wine isn't cheap...this was inspired by a similar dish at Wild Tangerine in Edmonton.



Here are some pictures...I can't say that my plating skills are that great. But the taste was good.

4 comments:

math_guy said...

Your plating skills are okay.

The only thing I'd complain about is how you poured the sauces in the last three pictures. Rather than pouring everything in one spot and creating a "pool" of liquid, you should move the spout in a periodic fashion across the intended target, even allowing yourself to "miss."

Sean

Fruitless said...

I think one "cool" thing to do for the dessert dish is to "paint" the sauce on the paint using a paint brush. I have seen that done a few times.

math_guy said...

"`paint' the sauce on the paint?" O.o

By the way, your pics seem to have gone AWOL. :O

Sean

Fruitless said...

paint the sauce on the dish, I meant.

I think I've fixed the pictures. I am still pretty new at this blogging business...