Monday, April 9, 2007

Fruitless Meatless Adventures

My next dinner party is one of the most challenging one in terms of dietary restrictions: no meat, no seafood, no peppers, and of course, no fruits. I spent the weekend trying a number of "meat substitutes" for braising.

After trying a number (too many in a single weekend!) of veggie burgers, ground "beef", tofu products, etc, I found that most of them are already heavily seasoned and not really suitable for braising. This turned out to be a bit more challenging than I thought. Luckily I didn't have to resort to the generic "textured soy protein" chunks. I found something called "shinbo tofu" from the Asian Supermarket which is flavorless and should have a nice spongy property to soak up the braising liquid. This is similar to the Chinese tofu puffs but seems to be denser.

2 comments:

math_guy said...

You mean that you've already tried all those vegetarian paddies that you bought on Saturday evening! :O

Sean

Fruitless said...

Yes, just a few bites from each type, but it is more than enough. :(