Sunday, February 22, 2009

Braised abalone

I was in Calgary and bought a can of abalone to try:




This is a pretty typical "banquet" Chinese food. Kind of expensive, but I wanted to try it once. The can contained 1.5 abalone. This is what the whole one looks like:



To cook, I blanched some broccoli florets as garnish, and braised some Chinese dried shiitake mushrooms (rehydrated, of course) in a sauce made from the abalone cooking liquid, oyster sauce, and a bit of the mushroom water. The abalone was sliced thinly and heated briefly in the sauce:




The appearance was not as good as the banquet food (I did not arrange the abalone slices too well), but the taste was right. So at the end I am happy with the dish, though there are other $60 dish that I would rather have...

No comments: