Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Lumiere Tasting Bar

I went to Lumiere Tasting Bar last Friday. I order from the $40 fixed price menu. The first course I ordered was tuna tartar with black truffles. It was very nice. Tuna was fresh, and the small amounts of truffle works well without overpowering the dish.



The main course was one of the signature dishes: sake-maple marinated sablefish, braised short rib meat, and a ginger-soy foam. It was good, though I have to say that I prefer the sablefish at the other places that I have gone to. Perhaps the sake-maple was a bit too light and didn't do much for me. In fact I can hardly taste it. The braised short ribs were delicious. I will have to try to do that myself (the "special" ingredient seems to be Port in addition to the usual braising ingredients of red wine, mirepoix, etc.).



The dessert was a milk chocolate bar with vanilla ice cream. Nothing extraordinary, but still very good.



Overall, it is perhaps not as good as I imagined from such a famous restaurant. On the other hand, I paid less than $60 for a 3-course meal including wine, tax, and tips. I think these cheaper fixed price menus are a great way to sample good food from these great restaurants. I am certainly very happy with the "quality-price" ratio. I would certainly go back again if I have a chance.

No comments: