Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Chinese BBQ pork, water chestnut cake

I made a couple of Chinese dishes:



First I made the Chinese BBQ pork (char siu). The taste worked out just like the restaurant stuff, but I have chosen to use pork tenderloin instead. Since it is actually warm outside these are made on a real BBQ: that means good caramelization on the outside too. The pork is tender but very lean. The traditional BBQ pork has some fat in it. The next time I try this I will have to use the right kind of meat. As usual, plenty of red food coloring is added.





For dessert is a steamed and then pan-fried water chestnut cake. It is actually relatively simple to make because I just used water chestnut flour. After steaming and cooled, the cake is sliced and then pan-fried. Crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.

I also attempted to make shrimp dumplings, but the dumpling skin was really hard for me to deal with and it was a bit of a disaster. My skin was either way too thick or it was too thin and the dumplings broke. I am too ashamed to show any pictures. I guess making shrimp dumpling is not that easy after all. Maybe I will try again some other time.

No comments: